Monday, August 27, 2007

Oh, Mermaid... my Mermaid...Where Art Thou, my Mermaid!?



OK--- Bridal Boutique Rule #1:
Do have a VARIETY of gowns for brides-to-be to try on when they drive 25 miles on a Saturday to visit your shop!!
Arggh! I'm so frustrated. In the past few weeks I've visited at least five bridal salons and NOT ONE has had more than 3 mermaid/trumpet-style gowns for me to try on.
They "claim" that the mermaid--a fit-and-flare, sophisticated silhouette gown-- is not in high demand...however, several other young brides in these shops were looking for this style and shared my frustration and many runway styles for Fall 2007 are in this mermaid shape.
This from Wedding Channel:
"One of the season's hottest looks, mermaid gowns are showing up in the collections of top designers such as Reem Acra, Monique Lhuillier and Mika Inatome."
And this from Bridal Discounters:
"Wedding gown styles for 2007 are swiftly shifting to a high fashion focus....Mermaid gowns are abound, modified mermaids are the most popular, showing fitted bodice that stretch to below the hip, with exaggerated, full, low skirts, a definite retake on the 1950s Barbie."
Not in high demand...?
I am sure i want to be a "mermaid" bride. I have a list of gowns I'm interested in...but none of the shops in my area have any of them on the racks...and not even anything close! This is why I am super giddy about going to New York City this Friday to storm some of their infamous bridal outlets to at least get a sense of how the mermaid looks on me before I order one.
Here are some gowns that inspire me. Thanks, Ariel!




And two more of my favorite gowns that I CANNOT afford, by Jim Hjelm and Alvina Valenta... but do keep in mind-- I am one ENTERPRISING sista!:


No comments: