Sunday, September 30, 2007

Review: Country Miss Bridal: Upper Marlboro, MD

Also see: Review: RK Bridal, NY, NY

Saturday morning I visited another local bridal called Country Miss. I know. I said I had found a gown. But hey, no harm in looking around, right?

First impression:
The shop is cute...located in a mini strip mall on a narrow street in the very "country-looking" neighborhood of Upper Marlboro. It was not far from where we live, but I had never ventured into the area.
Just from the way the store looked on the outside (small) I assumed their collection of gowns would also be disappointingly small.
I was wrong.

The store was larger inside than it appeared. There was a staff of about six women, who were for the most hands-off and not at all pushy. The girl who helped me asked what I was looking for and grabbed some gowns while allowing me to also look through their racks.
Compared to the other bridals in this area I've been to--maybe 4--they had the largest selection of gowns.

Experience:
The girl helping me was laid back and helpful. There was a stage to view yourself on. I thought it was weird they had a sign that read: "No cameras on Saturdays." Not sure what that was about.

Details:
Like most other bridals, deposit for gowns and BM dresses is 50%. If you get al BMs dresses from them they offer 15% off each dress (mothers' too) plus 10% off yours. I think that was the most generous I'd seen. It looked like they did alterations on site. They said the longest any gown would take to arrive was 3 months. I've heard longer delivery times quoted other places.

I think the best thing about Country Miss is that they double as a tuxedo rental place. Compared to some of the staple tux rental spots (i.e. Men's Wearhouse,Tuxedo Junction)they had way nicer tux options and
many designers.

A downfall of this bridal is that they don't carry any couture gown lines.

I may take fiance back there with me to look for a tux though.

Overall score: C+

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MNC- Thanks for the info about lighting. We are still looking into it, and have been in contact with http://www.variations.net/ (website is lousy).

Arne at Blooms by Plantscaping does some lighting as well, and I have his prices. He also mentioned that the people at our location (the Renaissance) would be able to do it more cheaply than any other lighting designer in town- but he was referring to places like Vincent lighting. Arne said that Vincent would start at 1k.

We are meeting with the lighting guy at the Renaissance in a couple of weeks when we are in Cleveland, and will hopefully have a better idea whether we will just go with them, or go with someone else. If we do go with someone else, we will still look into Vincent- my cousin works there, as does a neighbor, so that might help.

When all of the lighting stuff is figured out, I'll be sure to blog about it :-)

Have you had any luck finding a photographer?